Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lucky 1%

We had our doctor appointment yesterday and I've been diagnosed with a skin condition that affects 1% of pregnant women - ONE PERCENT. How I got to be in this lucky group, I don't know. It's called PUPPP (if you do a google image search, you'll see what I'm dealing with). It's an awful, itchy rash that starts out on your pregnant belly and eventually can affect your arms and legs. My stomach is pretty bad and my arms and legs are just starting to show signs of the rash. Essentially, there's nothing that can be done for me short of delivering the baby. Some doctors prescribe oral steriods but mine won't (and I'm not sure I would take them if she did). So, I pretty much spend most of my waking (and sleeping) hours trying like heck NOT to scratch my belly. I have gotten some special soap and lotion and am taking benadryl to ease the itchiness. So far it seems to be a little better, but it's not great.

Luckily, my work is being extremely flexible and is allowing me to work from home for the remainder of my pregnancy so I can 'air out' my belly during the days - wearing the tight band of material that comes on the top of maternity pants is really irritating my skin condition. I'll be in and out of the office for meetings as needed, but for the most part will be in the comfort of my own home. Thank goodness!

I guess the other good news that came out of our appointment is that the baby still hasn't dropped at all. I must really have made a good home for it. The doctor will let us go until 9/13 before inducing us. I hope the baby comes naturally before then. She is trying some things to get labor going naturally for me (stripped the membranes yesterday) but so far, nothing.

So we still wait. And try not to scratch.

1 comment:

ChasD said...

Has this rash settled down? Not sure if you are nursing, but here's something that I've had success with for other skin 'rashes'...

Topical: Calmoseptene (ask for it at the pharmacy at Target). Really soothing - eliminates itch and promotes healing.

Also, Caldesene (Walgreens in the baby section) - medicated baby powder is good too. Sort of a powder version of Calmoseptene.

There are some other 'tonics' (drinkable) but if you are nursing, it's not worth risking it.

Chuck

Post a Comment