One of the coolest projects I've worked on at GS was the pART PROJECT for SRAM last year. I blogged about it here.
50 sculptures were created by artists from all across the country and then auctioned off on eBay with proceeds benefiting a wonderful charity called World Bicycle Relief which gives bicycles to people in need all around the world so kids can get to school and adults can engage in commerce, etc.
There was also a competition aspect to the sculpture development. In order to provide an incentive for great artists to participate (beyond the wonderful charity component), SRAM gave a trip for two to Africa to the creator of the best sculpture. The winner is traveling to Zambia to see World Bicycle Relief in action soon.
In preparation for the trip, the winner of the competition learned that there is a severe shortage of textbooks in Zambia. She's started a fundraiser to raise money so she can purchase books for kids in Lusaka, Zambia. All of the money will go to purchasing books. One textbook is $6. I'm sure many of us spend close to that on one specialty cup of coffee each week.
I bought some textbooks for Zambia. Will you?
http://fundly.com/textbooksforzambia
No comments:
Post a Comment